Cake Making Interview With Sola Kehinde
Cakes are popular and have been so for a long time. For celebrations and events, Cakes are fun treats that add to the festivity of the whole occasion. Cakes are absolutely yummy! Every time I take a bite, I do not just enjoy the taste, but I also consider what it takes to bake a cake. The whole process combining ingredients and the creativity involved.
If you have been considering going into the cake business, what is stopping you? Perhaps it is the fear of failing or maybe you feel it isn’t going to be worth the time and effort.
I have got some good news that will calm your fears. You do not need a huge amount of money and expensive equipment to start a cake business. You don’t have to do something illegal before you earn good money and make someone smile. So, what exactly do you need then?
Sit back and read on as I give you tested hints and tips on building a successful cake business.
I caught up with a baker by the name, Sola Kehinde, and we talked about the cake business. If you are interested in getting into cakes, then this is the article that you have been waiting for.
1. How would you describe baking?
Baking is a science. For the best results, you must follow the rules and guidelines in a recipe to the T. When you have a particular taste you want to get, you have to follow the steps involved. If the recipe says two cups of flour and 1 cup of sugar, it is important that you follow that recipe.
2. When you say baking, do you only refer to cakes?
No, when I say baking, I am referring to all forms of pastries including meat pie, biscuit, bread, and the likes. The term baking is not only used for cakes alone.
3. When did you start baking?
I started baking officially in 2017
4. What lead you to the cake business?
I love being creative. The kind of creativity that amazes people. I love that feeling. Again, baking cakes is almost part of our culture. For instance, if you are throwing a birthday party and you do not have a cake there, it is not different from a random meeting. However, when you put a cake at a birthday party especially where children are, you will see the happiness on their faces.
5. Okay, baking the cake is one aspect and decorating the cake is another aspect. At times, I see a lot of cakes and wonder where the creativity and idea to decorate the cake comes from. I have seen your cakes and I have to say they are beautiful. So, can you tell me where you get your ideas from?
You just must know what you are aiming for. Sometimes I ask the client if they have anything that I can work with or if they have any ideas of their own. If not, I know I have to sit down and think about something. When you are baking the cake, you have to consider the person, what they like and what they are interested in.
6. Apart from the equipment and the recipe, is there any other factor that influences your baking?
I don’t really know if I can call it a factor, but what I know is – whenever I am working, I try to make my cakes unique and I always make sure that each new cake is better than the previous one. By evaluating my previous cake, I discover the mistakes I made and then let that guide me when I’m making my next cake.
7. What are the basic equipment needed to bake a cake?
I believe that the most important baking equipment are the measuring tools because it is important that you get the precise measurement. By measuring tools, I mean a measuring spoon, measuring cup and a scale. I believe the measuring tools are the most important, not an oven because you can use a hot plate to bake as well.
8. How do you bake a cake?
For a cake that is to be eaten at home, you can experiment and play around with the ingredients. But when you bake a cake for a customer. It is safer to follow the recipe strictly but if you are baking a cake for yourself here is a basic recipe and procedure that you can follow.
You get flour, water, sugar, flavour, egg. If it is going to be a very small cake, you can use the following measurements:
- 250g of flour
- 250g of butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Start by creaming your sugar and butter in the same bowl. You can make use of your hand at this stage and cream it for about 25 minutes.
- Break your eggs in a separate bowl. Mix them together and add to the butter and sugar that you have creamed.
- Add half teaspoon of flavour to the mixture.
- Add a little bit of alcohol or powder preservative.
- Add your baking powder to your flour, then add it to your batter
- Do not overmix, just fold in your flour into it
- Finally, coat your baking pan with a thin layer of butter, then sprinkle a little flour on it.
- Pour in the cake mixture and place in the pre-heated oven until your cake is ready.
I hope you have gained something from this interview.
As you can see, getting into a cake business is one of the best decisions you can make. The joy and the creativity you get from it is beautiful. So why not try something out with this simple recipe and you will see how amazing your cake turns out.